Saturday 19 February 2011

Eye for detail



As Vishal breezes into his office sporting stubble, torn jeans and a blue checked shirt that complements him, you wonder if this is the same actor who pulled off the role in Bala's Avan Ivan. Still in a trance after facing the camera for the last shot, Kollywood's tall, dark and handsome actor fields questions about Bala's style of filmmaking and playing a squint-eyed hero. Excerpts:
Bala's touch
Each director has his own style. Bala stands out, because he waits. Even if it takes a month for a specific shot/scene, he wants the best from his actors. His style of filmmaking for me was like graduating from Harvard; and it gives meaning to the word “actor”.
Preparing for the role
When I went to Bala, I didn't have any expectations. I was like clay, ready to be moulded.
Post-shoot
As an individual, I have become carefree; not at all the Vishal I know. I came so close to death on the sets; I came face to face with fear, and it's as if I have seen it all. As an actor, I am very scared to begin work on my next film. I need to remind myself that Bala's film is over and that I have to face the camera for a different role. I wasn't this scared when I did my first film Chellame!
Relating to the subject
More than the subject, it was the portrayal of the character that was challenging. This was the maximum I could push myself as an actor and as an individual; I will never do such a role again in my career.
Squint... full time
My character has a squint throughout the film. I knew before we began filming that this would be the first time in the world an actor had to squint right through the film and this had me very excited. We are in the process of applying to the Guinness Book of Records. I met my doctor before filming, and he thought I was crazy; I suffered from severe headaches all through the making of the film. But I did it out of the passion I have for cinema, and the love I have for the director.
After effects
I have begun looking at the medium from a very different perspective. I am certainly not bragging about myself, but people too are most definitely going to see a new Vishal after this. Although I have always wanted to be a director, I never looked at this film from my point of view, in terms of changing anything. But the assistant director in me did come out on the sets, and when I was not filming my scenes, I would watch Bala directing the other actors, and I would learn (without Bala knowing, of course). (Laughs).
Co-star Arya
I have known Arya for 16 years — even before we decided to get into cinema. Our friendship helped Bala a great deal. He was able to direct us with ease, in relation to the two characters we were playing.
Being a workaholic
Just like all creative artistes, I use work to escape reality. My work gives meaning to my existence. I don't know what I am escaping from exactly, but I love the pressure to deliver. I keep pushing myself. My next film with Prabhu Deva (a remake of the Telugu film Souryam), where I play a cop, is my next challenge.
Hangover
I'm still in a trance; I'm still living the character. Only my clothes have changed. Once the film was over, I told myself “I did it”. I felt as if I had achieved the impossible, and as an actor, I'm very proud of myself and the capacity I have as an actor, and the way I have contributed to the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment